Agriculture Victoria Services Pty Ltd (AVS) has delivered over thirty years of service excellence to the Government of Victoria, primarily through the Agriculture Victoria Research (AVR) branch of the Victorian Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR).
AVS’ purpose is to help improve the productivity and competitiveness of Victorian agriculture and related local industries, by commercialising the research and innovation of the Agriculture Victoria Research branch (AVR) of the Victorian Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR).
AVS helps the AVR to determine the most appropriate ‘route-to-impact’ for its research outputs.
Where the economic and local industry productivity outcomes will be greater and more rapid, a commercial route-to-impact pathway is pursued.
The Victorian Government invests in research and innovation for productivity and biosecurity outcomes for Victorian agriculture. In this context, AVR aims to achieve step change improvements in agriculture through innovation for the enduring profitability and productivity of Victorian farmers.
The Government looks to AVS to work with AVR to ensure the benefits of its research are optimised, where appropriate, by commercialisation of AVR's intellectual property assets and scientific capabilities.
In this way AVS helps the Government to meet its objectives by providing expert intellectual property (IP) management commercialisation services; commercial R&D collaboration services; and technology investment services that maximise the adoption and impact of the research capabilities and associated IP assets of AVR.
AVS is valued by its stakeholders as the corporate entity that streamlines the interface between AVR and the private sector.
For this end, AVS was established by the Victorian Government:
- To protect and manage IP assets arising from AVR research and innovation activities, including the commercialisation of outputs and technologies for delivering local industry and economic benefits to Victoria.
- To provide a legal entity through which commercial research and innovation collaborations are expertly negotiated and supported.
- To invest company funds to maximise value capture and accelerate market delivery of AVR research outputs and innovation technologies.
In fulfilling its role, AVS aims to provide a professional, expert and objective commercial interface to enhance, support and expedite the route-to-impact for the novel research outputs and associated IP assets of AVR to industry.
AVS operates in accordance with the following IP management, collaboration and investment principles:
- AVS helps to determine the most appropriate ‘route-to-impact’ for the research and innovation outputs of AVR. Where the economic and productivity outcomes for Victoria will be greater and more rapid, a commercial route-to-impact pathway is pursued.
- Where a commercial route-to-impact is pursued for AVR research and innovation outputs, the primary objective of AVS is to maximise technology adoption by local industry for the economic benefit of Victoria. Financial returns are a secondary objective and sought commensurate with fair and reasonable value attribution.
- AVS aims to ensure the registration, prosecution, defence, commercialisation and management of IP assets created by AVR, is always in the best economic and societal interests of Victoria.
- AVS manages all commercialisation, research and innovation collaborations consistent with the objectives of AVR, the Department’s IP Management Principles and Victorian Public Sector Values.
AVS invests company funds to accelerate the translation of AVR inventions into innovative products and services. Funds are invested in high-potential innovations that are: technically feasible; commercially attractive; and that align with Department IP Management Principles, AVS Strategy Objectives and these Operating Principles.
Aim and Objectives
AVS aims to meet its objectives and fulfil its purpose by providing a professional. expert and objective commercial interface with the private sector - to support the transfer of IP assets and scientific capabilities of the Agriculture Victoria Research branch (AVR) of the Victorian Department of Jobs, precincts and Regions (DJPR) to the marketplace.
AVS has the following Strategy Objectives, as stated in its 3 year Corporate Plan (2019-21):
- Protect and commercialise the IP assets of AVR to maximise technology adoption for local industry impact.
- Support and strengthen commercial research collaborations to deliver the science and innovation of AVR.
- Accelerate the translation of AVR inventions into innovative products and services via AVS investment.