Agriculture Victoria Services Pty Ltd (AVS) has delivered over thirty six years of service excellence to the Government of Victoria to help improve the productivity and competitiveness of Victorian agriculture and related local industries - by commercialising the research and innovation of the Agriculture Victoria Research branch (AVR) of the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA).
AVS’ purpose is to maximises the commercial impact and value of Agriculture Victoria research & innovation, so that Victorian agriculture and related industries are strong, innovative and sustainable, to contribute to better economic and societal outcomes.
AVS helps AVR to determine the most appropriate route-to-impact for its research outputs.
Where the economic and local industry productivity outcomes will be greater and more rapid, a commercial route-to-impact pathway is pursued.
The Victorian Government invests in research and innovation for productivity and biosecurity outcomes for Victorian agriculture. In this context, AVR aims to achieve step change improvements in agriculture through innovation for the enduring profitability and productivity of Victorian farmers.
The Government looks to AVS to work with AVR to ensure the benefits of AVR’s research are optimised, where appropriate, by commercialisation of AVR’s intellectual property assets and scientific capabilities.
In this way AVS helps the Government to meet its objectives - by providing expert intellectual property (IP) management & commercialisation services; commercial R&D collaboration services; and technology investment services that maximise the adoption and impact of the research capabilities and associated IP assets of AVR.
AVS is valued by its stakeholders as the corporate entity that streamlines the interface between AVR and the private sector.
For this end, AVS was established by the Victorian Government:
- To protect and manage IP assets arising from AVR research and innovation activities, including the commercialisation of outputs and technologies for delivering local industry and economic benefits to Victoria.
- To provide a legal entity through which commercial research and innovation collaborations are expertly negotiated and supported.
- To invest company funds to maximise value capture and accelerate market delivery of AVR research outputs and innovation technologies.
In fulfilling its role, AVS aims to provide a professional, expert and objective commercial interface to enhance, support and expedite the route-to-impact for the novel research outputs and associated IP assets of AVR to industry.
AVS aims to set the pace and lead commercialisation of AV research & innovation in a manner consistent with AVS Values & Behaviours, Victorian Public-Sector Values, AVS Strategy and Victorian IP Management Principles:
- AVS helps to determine the most appropriate ‘route-to-impact’ for the research & innovation outputs of AVR. Where the economic and productivity outcomes for Victoria will be greater and more rapid, a commercial route-to-impact pathway is pursued.
- Where a commercialisation route-to-impact is pursued, the primary objective of AVS is to maximise the economic benefits of AVR technology innovation for Victoria. Financial returns from commercialisation are sought commensurate with fair and reasonable value attribution of AVS intellectual property (IP) and AVR intellectual capital (IC).
- AVS always seeks to ensure the registration, prosecution, defense and management of AVS IP assets is always in the best economic and societal interests of the State.
- AVS manages commercialisation, research & innovation collaborations consistent with AVR objectives, Victorian IP Management Principles and Victorian Public-Sector Values.
- AVS funds are invested in high-value AVR innovations that are: technically feasible; commercially attractive; able to generate significant impact, value and revenues for the State; aligned with Victorian IP management principles and AVS Strategy. AVS also invests funds in Victorian financial institutions to generate funds for new R&I opportunities.
Aim and Objectives
AVS aims to fulfil its purpose and meet its objectives by providing a professional, expert and objective commercial interface with the private sector - to support and enhance the commercialisation of the IP assets and scientific capabilities of the Agriculture Victoria Research branch (AVR) of the Victorian Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA) to the marketplace.
To deliver on the Company’s purpose, AVS has set the following strategy objectives and aligned strategic priorities to achieve them:
- Objective: IP Management
Maximise IP asset value and impact.
Priority: Expertly protect and manage the intellectual property (IP) and intellectual capital (IC) assets of AVR to maximise their impact for industry and their economic value for Victoria - by providing specialist IP-&-IC route-to-impact strategy advice, management and technology transfer services.
- Objective: Commercial R&I Collaboration
Leverage and grow collaboration value and impact.
Priority: Effectively support commercial R&I collaborations of AVR and help realise greater value and impact from existing and new R&I partners - by providing an effective legal entity through which commercial R&I collaboration and AVR are expertly assessed, negotiated, entered and supported.
- Objective: Commercialisation
Enhance IP and IC commercialisation value and impact.
Priority: Expertly commercialise the IP and IC assets of AVR to maximise their impact for industry and their economic value for Victoria - by deploying novel, scalable, translational route-to-impact approaches, including early-stage, agile, entrepreneurial Victorian R&I ventures.
- Objective: Investment
Increase AVS investment impact and returns.
Priority: Invest company funds to accelerate the translation, reach and commercial impact of AVR innovations and increase commercial revenues from AVS investment - by investing in high-value AVR technologies for generating significant commercialisation impact and by maximising AVS investment portfolio returns.